Friday, May 30, 2008

second week of painting the portrait


This is the second layer of oil paint that I applied during the week. So far this portrait is taking longer than I would like. I am applying for 3 national art competitions this week so time has been diverted else where. I am going for a more tonal painting than I usually do with this portrait. I want a mood presented with the painting not just a portrait. I picked this image because I love the looks from my wife and two kids. Ashton (bottom left) was tired because he didn't get his nap that day and was really attached to Lisa. Chance (screaming kid in my wife's arms) was done with taking pictures and was ready for bed. Lisa, like Chance was done with pictures and holding the 20 pd kid. The best part about this image, it was the last picture I took of the family before we finally gave up and got the boys ready for bed.

The idea with this portrait was initially have a lot of objects in the background that describe Lisa and what she loves to do. After looking at all the images and thinking about what I wanted in this portrait I decided to make the background dark in value so the viewer is focused on the facial expressions given in the painting. I want people to feel it more so than read into a description of who my wife is. Anyways here this the second week of working on this portrait. I am up to about 30 hours now of painting.

No comments: