Friday, December 12, 2008

more about mug shots

I have now taken pictures of 12 people all responding to my craigslist postings for models.  I have a couple more this next week.  I think this is a bad time to start a new project because I am spending so much time applying for jobs.  An anonymous person responded to one of my postings, I would be interested to know who the person is.  I didn't think I would like teaching art until I started to teach.  Now I love it so maybe I should just find a full time teaching job so I don't have to do all the meetings,.... actually I really like meeting, at least the ones I have been in and the type that get things done.  I figure I won't know what I will like until I try it and right now it is a good reason to move out of Utah and experience something new.

I will post more updates about the mugshot paintings as I progress.  As for now I need to prep the surfaces to paint on, and that will take a while.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey McGarren-
I guess my comment earlier was directed to you to inform you of what it means to be a university or college professor. You don't just teach and work on your own stuff. You sit on academic councils which determine things like, budgets, curriculum, space utilization, recruitment, and on and on. That is usually under the "citizenship" title. Then you have the teaching, grading, stuff. After all that you are expected to make art and get it shown by reputable galleries, public art spaces and juried into exhibitions with jurors who have a respectable resume themselves. You are judged by your university on whether your outside work is worthy of notice (this is known as peer tenure review). Without a good list of accomplishments outside of the university you cannot get rank advancement or keep your job. If you want to paint, well that is only one-third of your job. It isn't until you are a full tenured professor, that you can spend lots of time on your art. But it isn't the end of the world, some people don't mind doing all that is required and are o.k. putting off their work to help others. I guess it is about what you want and how you want to accomplish it, but just getting a teaching job doesn't solve every problem, it just brings new ones. Good luck getting an job in this economy, I would be curious to know how many faculty jobs there are versus the number of job hunting MFA people. Have you looked into applying for grants...is your work good enough to try for things like a Pollack-Krasner grant, or something like that? Have you looked at the New York Art Association website for info on grants, residencies, etc.? What is your teaching experience post graduate school? Are you represented at any galleries besides Rive Gauche(sp?).

S. E. Moyer said...

Hey, check out these works, which are also contemporary mugshots:
http://www.mccallumtarry.com/index.php?article_id=132