Friday, November 16, 2012



Here is the finished product.  After drawing the anatomical parts with charcoal I did multiple thin encaustic layers (about 8) and then scraped down the texture.  There are a lot of "happy accidents" that occurred. Initially I wanted a smooth glassy surface to carve into.  But the bumps and little crevasses created an interesting "flesh" like texture.  I then carved the shapes into the encaustic and filled it with an oil slick enhancing the carving.  So what should be inside is now shown outside in reference to the object portrayed.  I really like how they turned out and they each have a clean black closed cornered clayed frame.  Let me know what you think. This is three of the four I will put up the last one when it is done.  They are for sale, so come and get your medical art encaustic!!! :)

 "The Drain" 30x30 in. (Medical Art Encaustic Brain) Flack Studio

 "The Electrician" 30x30 in. (Medical Art Encaustic Heart) Flack Studio

"The Plumber" 30x30 in. (Medical Art Encaustic Heart) Flack Studio

I titled them this way because I have a couple of friends that are Dr. and with the heart that is the reference they have used with each other.  Most of the sections I am enhancing show the support systems to the functionality of the organ.  The heart pump is only as good as its contractile function. 

No comments: